Board of Directors Meeting
Jasper County Emergency Services
September 5th, 2017
Chairman Fries called the meeting to order at 12:02 p.m., at the Board office, 13870 Dispatch Lane, Carthage, MO as per public notice. Present in addition to Chairman Fries, Tim Wilson, Dan Stanley, Carl Francis and Craig Dagnan arrived at 12:33 pm. Representing staff was OSC Amber Madison and Executive Director April Tarrant. Representing Public was Chase Fisher with GIS and Mike Runnebaum.
Review and Action of Minutes
Minutes of the Board of Director’s Meeting on August 1st, 2017 and August 10th, 2017 were reviewed.
Director Wilson motioned to approve the meeting minutes for August 1st 2017 and August 10th, 2017. Director Stanley seconded the motion. Vote: 4-0. The motion was adopted.
Public Comment and Correspondence
No public comment
Financial Report and Payment of Bills
The sales tax check for July was received on August 7th in the amount of $132,874.07.
We have not received the sales tax check for August.
Total bills submitted for approval today $37,327.41. The checkbook balance after payment of bills will be $5,659.27. The money market account balance is $1,063,022.10.
Accounts receivable balance is $3,652.98. (Mets, Joplin, & record request)
After the funds are received the checkbook balance will be $9,312.25
Director Wilson motioned to approve the Financial Report with Payment of the Bills. Director Francis seconded the motion. Vote: 4-0. The motion was adopted.
Executive Director Report
See Attached Report
- Executive Director Tarrant reviewed her report, highlighting that METS and Superion have come to an agreement for an interface to their HealthEMS reporting software. However, Superion will not enter into a contract with METS. Superion has stated that they will enter into a contract with JASCO and they will accept a check from METS for the service. The Jasper County Emergency Services Board agreed that JASCO will sign the contract with Superion.
- Executive Director Tarrant stated that Superion’s Freedom product is being installed. JASCO had to purchase a 3 year SSL Wildcard Certificate to take care of the certification on this. 3 years was purchased at a discounted rate.
- Executive Director Tarrant advised that AT&T fiber bill dispute is completed now and Joplin has been informed of their costs and is caught up with their invoices.
- Executive Director Tarrant advised that while employees were at Marian Days the time worked by both Steven Williams and Josh Pruitt was paid out by the Fathers thru the City of Carthage. This was beneficial to both employees and JASCO.
- Executive Director Tarrant went over some GIS imagery and flyover cost sharing with Jasper County may be double to triple the typical cost. Chase Fisher is attending the JCESB meeting to discuss where they are at in the project,
- Executive Director Tarrant stated that Amber Madison misplaced the VISA card, so we blocked the cards and SMB issued new cards. Executive Director Tarrant will be changing her last name due to marriage and we will be ordering all new credit cards when she has all of her paperwork complete. We also received new Phillips 66 gas cards due to expiration.
- Executive Director Tarrant mentioned that we have 3 in training currently. We are hiring 4 more to fill open positions or positions that will be open soon.
- Executive Director Tarrant stated that Steven Williams has resigned to go to work for MSHP. One employee did not pass her background, one employee is in the background process with another agency.
- Executive Director Tarrant advised that the OM position will remain open until staffing levels out. A Team Leader position is open and it will be filled this fall.
- Executive Director Tarrant stated that JASCO is having some intermittent radio issues being reported on Fire West. Command One will be out to check the control radio and repeater early next week.
- Executive Director Tarrant advised that JASCO’s tower light is having intermittent problems and Command One will have a tower climber out to check the issue next week. We will be replacing equipment on the tower, so this will cost around $1446 plus taxes and service for the equipment and climb.
- Executive Director Tarrant discussed that Josh Pruitt was subpoenaed to appear as a witness in court at Vernon County by the PA regarding a misuse of 9-1-1 charge on a call that ended up at JASCO. Executive Director Tarrant will be attending this with him on September 7th.
- Executive Director Tarrant will be meeting with Chief Dagnan on September 6th 2017 to work through a consolidation plan for Carthage PD.
2018 Aerial Photography
Executive Director Tarrant introduced Chase Fisher, Chase is the new Jasper County Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Coordinator. Chase Fisher presented to the JCESB a proposal for the upcoming 2018 Flight Contract. Chase advised that Jasper County is wanting to do 3 flights this year, and have them be 3 inch urban and a 6 inch rural. Chase presented worksheets with several different contract options. Jasper County Assessor is choosing to go with 3 flights with a 3inch urban 6 inch rural, the Assessor is wanting agencies in Jasper County to help pay a portion of the costs for the fly overs. The cost for the flyover would be around $29,000.00 a year. Executive Director Tarrant advised that JASCO should not be paying $6,000.00 in road sign maintenance. Executive Director Tarrant stated that if we put the road sign maintenance fees of $6,000.00 a year in with our $5,000.00 that we spend on GIS flyovers now, that we could possibly afford $11,000.00 a year for the GIS flyover. It would require the County Commission to stop billing us for road sign maintenance. She added that we are not responsible for that maintenance by law, but it is something we agreed to help with while we can. Director Fries asked Chase if the County Assessor is receiving any revenue from Beacon? Chase advised that they do receive some revenue from the Beacon website. Chase closed the conversation with telling the Jasper County Emergency Services Board that he does not need an answer today, that he will check back with April and answer any questions that we might have. Executive Director Tarrant advised that the GIS Flyover will be put on the agenda for October meeting. The Jasper County Emergency Services Board has a lot of questions, and does not understand how we are paying the same amount of money as other agencies that use this information a lot more. Executive Director Tarrant advised that the GIS Flyover will be put on the agenda for October meeting and she will meet with Chase Fisher again to discuss the Boards questions.
The Jasper County Emergency Board wanted Executive Director Tarrant to get a second opinion in reference to JASCO’s capability to issue a use tax. Executive Director Tarrant contacted Norman Rouse for the second opinion. Executive Director Tarrant advised that Norman Rouse advised that he thinks Jasper County Emergency Services can impose a tax, but he would check further and get back with her. Executive Director Tarrant contacted Department of Revenue and they still state that we cannot issue a use tax. Executive Director Tarrant stated that we need a “legal” opinion for this use tax. Executive Director Tarrant stated that RSMo 144.757 would allow us to do this, but even if the legal opinion stated we could impose this, the Department of Revenue would still not accept it or distribute it separately. They would only distribute it to the County, if passed by the County and it would be up to the County to re-distribute it to the 9-1-1 Board through an ordinance.
Executive Director Tarrant stated that she could also work with a lobbyist and try and get out of the TIFS and have them help her write up the special legislation, but it is unknown if it would do any good. At this time Jasper County Emergency Services cannot move forward on this issue with the way RSMo 190.335 reads. At 12:44 Director Wilson stepped out of the meeting. The Jasper County Emergency Services Board agreed that we will stand by at this time in regards to the Use Tax. At 12:45pm Director Wilson came back into the meeting.
Radio Console Project
Executive Director Tarrant advised that the radio console project is still in process. Executive Director Tarrant advised that Motorola is in the mix now, and she is getting all of the information from Motorola such as pricing and what they have to offer. She will schedule demonstrations.
Superion CAD Add-On Agreement for METS RMS Interface
Executive Director Tarrant stated that Superion will not enter a contract with METS, but Superion will enter a contract to add on to JASCO’s existing contract. Superion stated that they will accept the payment from METS direct, however they will bill JASCO. Director Fries, Director Dagnan, and Executive Director Tarrant agreed that JASCO will need to do an amendment on the original METS agreement or create a new MOU for this payment to be made by JASCO and reimbursed annually through the METS payments for services.
Director Dagnan motioned to approve the contract with Superion for the METS Health EMS interface with the signed agreement with METS for reimbursement on maintenance paid by JASCO on this interface annually and upfront costs paid for by METS in fill to Superion direct. Director Wilson seconded the motion. Vote: 5-0. The motion was adopted.
Apple Maps Purchase of JASCO GIS Data De-identified
Executive Director Tarrant informed the Board there was nothing to discuss on this topic currently, for they are preparing some changes to present to the Board on our non-disclosure agreement.
EMD Calls by Joplin Communications
Executive Director Tarrant stated that she has a stack of complaints against Joplin regarding wrong EMD protocols being used and inconsistencies in coding medical calls and failure to dispatch first responders on medical priority calls. Executive Director Tarrant has directed the agencies with these complaints to contact Joplin Communications direct and is waiting on a meeting to be set up between METS, their Medical Director, Dr. Morgan, and Joplin.
Language Line Use by direct dispatch agencies
Executive Director Tarrant went over the most recent Language Line bill. Executive Director Tarrant
reported to the JCESB that there were Jasper County Deputies calling JASCO and using the Language Line for non-emergency use. Executive Director Tarrant showed the JCESB where a deputy was on the phone with an individual for over 99 minutes for directions. The Jasper County Emergency Services Board told Executive Director Tarrant to pay this bill and send a letter to the agencies and let them know that JASCO will invoice the department next time and will no longer approve use by other agencies. At 1:02 pm Director Dagnan left the meeting.
Executive Director Tarrant presented a modification to the payroll policy for direct deposit to be required, as previously discussed by the Board.
Director Wilson motioned to approve the Policy change to require direct deposit of all employees. Director Stanley seconded the motion. Vote: 4-0. The motion was adopted.
Policy- Employee Health, Dental, Vision Insurance
Budget Amendment—61115, 61116, and 61117
Executive Director Tarrant advised that JASCO needs to try and stay “competitive” with surrounding agencies. Executive Director Tarrant proposed to the JCESB that we pay for the employees’ Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance at 100%. Executive Director Tarrant proposed that JASCO pay all Anthem Health, Delta Dental and VSP Vision for employee only, JASCO would only pay for the base plan thru Anthem. JASCO would cover the Insurance for all new hires up to 3 years before adding additional benefits, as previously approved. Executive Director Tarrant presented that she will need to amend the budget to account for this extra cost. Executive Director Tarrant advised that JASCO might not be able to afford it next year, depending on what the renewals look like, but at least can cover it for the remainder of the year. The JCESB discussed this update and they agreed that this would be beneficial for getting new employees in the door.
Director Wilson motioned to approve the Policy change showing that JASCO will pay for employees Health, Dental and Vision Insurance, as presented by Executive Director Tarrant. Director Stanley seconded the motion. Vote: 4-0. The motion was adopted.
Closed Session Announcement and/or Report:
Jasper County Emergency Services Board announced to close for personnel records and hiring, firing, disciplining and promoting pursuant to Mo. Statute Section 610.021 (13) (3).
1:10 p.m. Director Wilson motioned to go into closed session. Director Stanley seconded the motion. Vote: 4-0. The motion was adopted.
Roll Call: Fries – In Favor
Wilson – In Favor
Francis – In Favor
Stanley – In Favor
1:17 p.m. Director Wilson motioned to come out of closed session. Director Stanley seconded the motion. Vote: 4-0. The motion was adopted.
Roll Call: Fries – In Favor
Wilson – In Favor
Francis – In Favor
Stanley – In Favor
At 1:43 p.m. The meeting was adjourned.
The next Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, October 3rd, 2017 at 12:00 p.m.
On the_________________day of ______________________2017_
I, Tim Wilson, Vice Chairman, _____________________________________________certify these Jasper County Emergency Services Board Meeting Minutes for___________________________. They have been reviewed and are accurate.
On the __________day of_____________________2017_
I, Dan Stanley, Director __________________________ attest the Jasper County Emergency Services Board Meeting Minutes for _______________________________. They have been reviewed and are accurate.